Tuesday, December 7, 2021

A year of new old firsts

 


2021: Just when you thought 2020 was interesting, meet 2021. A lot of things, have happened-some of which, I'm not ready to talk about, just yet. The past few months, things have gotten back to pre-covid, sort of normal. Some things--I needed other people to remind me to do again because I got used to not doing them--if that makes sense. 

The Laundry Room

First, I thought I could use the laundry room again. My case manager assigned me a task to wash my bigger blankets in the laundry room. Last year, I had to stop using the laundry room because both of my kids would run off, while I am loading up clothes. Since the laundry rooms are in  the middle of  parking lots, this is not a good idea, so I stopped going. My apartment is within a few minutes walk of three laundry rooms. 

but first, I needed a new laundry card. I let a neighbor use, my old card, and never got it back. Since I wasn't able to use the facilities, I wasn't too worried about asking for it back. I also been noticing the laundry room, I mostly used, has not been opened lately. I walked to the office to get a new card and was told, the machine did not have any cards. I had to wait for a new shipment to arrive. 

I showed up again to ask about the cards and was told, the office is not ordering any new cards because of the sale of the complex. The staff also said they are not fixing any broke machines and some laundry rooms are permanently closed.  We do not have to officially move until October 2022. How are residents supposed to do laundry? I have a portable washer (Thank you very much to the lovely lady, who helped me get one), but it only washes bigger items. 

The spin side is too small for my bigger comforters. I guess they will be air-dried or I will use SudShare to launder them, when I have extra monies. Still can't find anyone, who knows how to fix the belts on my portable dryer. Maybe if I can get a job, I can just buy a new one. 

The Walk Back to Kalen's School

I thought about this post, after taking my first bus ride and walk back to Kalen's school to drop off medication. I have been using my mom or niece or a rideshare to take me, since the covid-times began. I gave up riding the bus, also during the pandemic because of my oldest's eloping issues. I definitely was tired of chasing him; pulling him back from running into the road; and having police involvement. 

The nurse needed meds. My oldest was not with me. My youngest was at school. 10 minute bus ride. 15-20 minute walk. Sonic, McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's are in the area so I can grab me some food, on the way back to the bus stop. I checked the bus app to see how many tickets, I had left, and hopped the bus. 

The walk back felt different but some things remained the same. No sidewalks. No bus stop on the other side of the highway, so I don't have to navigate across the highway.  I have been living in Greenspoint since 2018. I guess everything will change after Kalen goes to intermediate. 😂😂😂

Had to navigate around water, vehicles, and mud. The bridge from the bus stop, to the highway and school-also was wider and had new decorative pieces though. Finally, the bus stop needs seating, especially when I have waited up to an hour, to go back home, in the past. If you miss it, then you just have to stand and wait or sit on the ground. Maybe bring a folding chair with you (Good idea Stacie).

The Walk Back to McDonalds and Other Food Places

A Facebook Friend (Thank you Rain) reminded me, I can walk to Mcdonalds again. I haven't walked to McDonalds, in a while, because it is also an Autism trap. Don't need kids running off, while we wait to cross the highway. I can get some breakfast, after I put Kalen on the bus. I also have started walking back to Family Dollar; the local, non-cheap grocery store; plus the Jack in the Box and McDonalds near the mall, for the first time. 

I thought the walk would take longer, but it took as long as walking to the highway McDonalds, which opened up new possibilities for me, if I wanted to walk to other stores and restaurants versus calling Uber Eats or Grubhub or Postmates. I have ordered many times from Montereys and Pollo Campero, over the years. Maybe I could get a part-time job in the area, provided the job offers flexible scheduling. I even walked home from the doctor, the other day, because I didn't feel like riding 2 busses, with a stop or two, to the .99 and Jack in the Box. 

Riding the Bus again

I started back riding the bus again, even with kids. Brad even crossed the scary bridge to get to church, without walking off. I have done, a few focus groups, around Houston, to earn extra income. The pandemic has taught me, I need people. I may be an introvert but I need to socialize with other humans, besides my kids. Nothing like staying at home with semi-verbal kids, for 10 days, with no one else to talk to, besides people on the internet. I hope a shut down never happens again, but glad I have access to the crisis line. 

2 Services at Church

I was happy when special needs re-opened back up, at church, last year, but we could only attend one service to allow more kids to attend. I love virtual Sunday School but there are more distractions at home--kids, kicking the walls and doors; asking for snacks; crawling all over me; kicking me in the face and neck. This year, we could attend both services, in person again. YAYYAYAYAYAYYAY. I was happy to see my people. Of course, I had a few setbacks and haven't been able to attend like I wanted to. Rain is a hinderance because I use a wagon for Kalen and he doesn't like rain on his head. Both me and Kalen had cold and congestion, which took us out for 2 weeks. Don't want to get other people sick. 

Other Firsts:

  • Completed a customer service experience trainee program through ClimbHire. ClimbHire will also help me get a job. 
  • Completed a healthy families virtual class through Avance Frameworks. They gave some nice incentives for completion. 
  • Of course, I was diagnosed with depression, in August, and now taking Trazodone and Lexapro.
Thank you and have a blessed day



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie