Saturday, October 11, 2014

Back to the Bahamas Part 1

Back to the Bahamas Part 1: Carnival Ecstasy August 22nd to 25th
Port: Miami, Florida to Nassau Bahamas and Paradise Island (boat trip)



In August, I went back to the Bahamas with my mother again. We also brought along a bunch of first timers: my kids, annoying sisters, nieces, nephew, and great-niece. 9 people total and I will never do this again.

(Note: I was working on the multimedia portion of my thesis, while in the car, and finished up as soon as I got on the boat. $25 dollars of cruise credit to get my project turned in on time. I had limited internet from Louisiana to Florida. I was revising text and creating audio transcripts of the videos, on top of dealing with annoying relatives.)





My plan was to go on a 4-day trip to Mexico, Honduras, and Belize from Galveston. Get a past guest discount for my mother and myself, plus a Texas resident discount. The trip was reasonably priced-4 islands, 4 days.

The drive to Galveston is not that far either, but that was not good enough for some of my heathen family. Some of my relatives don’t like Hispanics, especially Mexicans. They refused to spend 24 hours in Mexico, so after some cussing and discussion, we decided to go to Miami to the Bahamas.
I already knew this trip would not be fun. At first, I had 3 people in my room and my mother had five. My other sister was supposed to go to Africa this summer. Then, she decided to bring my nephew. My mother removed my nephew from the cruise.

Now we have my kids and myself in my room and the rest in the other room. 3 doors down from each other.

Fast forward, sister and nephew decide not to go to Africa and want to be added back. My mother still has a five person room-so nephew went to her room. My room already paid for and I had to relocate my room wayyyyy down the hallway for a 4 person, 4 bed room, when all I need is 2 beds. One for me and Kalen and one for Brad.




I also had to chip in monies for my sister’s fare because my mother did not have enough. She also got part of my cruise credits, I been earning. Whoopee. Over 100 dollars and I have to share when my room was fully paid for months in advance.

Sister planned on crashing in one of the beds in my mother room. 5 beds. Niece and Great niece in same bed; nephew; other annoying sister; and mother, in other 4 beds.

I kept bumping my head into that darn upper bed. I kept the big bed for myself and let Brad climb up. I wanted a no pee zone.

By the first day, the sisters had a fight and the younger sister got a new room, which is what she should have done in the first place with her son. She wanted her cruise credit transferred to her new room. Problem was she only earned $10 dollars after she was added to my room and she was upset. Love Carnival. Leave my credits alone.

The rest of the trip on the boat, was special needs hell.

I couldn't get my kids to stay in Camp Carnival. I ended up with 2 hours free without my kids over 3 days. When they did go, all they did was sleep Went to Super Star Karaoke and Karaoke. Didn’t attempt to sing because I kept staring at the Camp’s phone.


Brad peed in the bed. Instead of just changing the sheets or the mattresses, the steward cleaned the carpet (which needed cleaning due to Brownies and Cake), and put a carpet smeller puller outer in the room. I went back to my room later and saw that noisy device, when my kids needed to sleep. Turned it off. Then I got a knock on the door from the assistant housekeeping woman saying if my kids make a mess in the bed, take them to medical. Told her, I have two SPED kids, who wet the bed, and accidents do happen. She didn’t not understand at all and I didn’t care. One kid was sleepy and needed his medication.

Brad had a major meltdown after Kalen went to Camp Carnival for the first time. Took over an hour to calm him down. It was time to give him his meds anyway plus Mr.. Melatonin. We was heading to formal dinner and by the time, I got him calm and went back to Windsong, the line was longer. We got a pager saying it will be a 30 minute wait, but as soon as we walked away, the pager went off. By the time, the food arrived, the pager went off and I had to go get Kalen. Youngest sister sat with Brad, while I ran to the Verandah deck (11 from deck 8).

Kalen refused to walk in the Bahamas. His feet broke out a few weeks ago. I forgot to bring socks. After going to multiple stores, looking for socks, I learned most of them don’t accept credit cards. I finally had to go to an ATM (Thank you Blogher for the payment a few days before) to get some Bahamian money to buy the boy some socks, and he still did not want to walk.

We took a water ferry to Paradise Island to see Atlantis. Took some convincing to get Brad on the boat. The tour guide let Brad sit up front with the captain.

While we was in Louisiana, we stopped at a gas station/McDonalds station to eat and go potty. I took Brad to change his diaper and pants. On the way out, we passed through the gas station part because I didn't have McDonalds money. He wanted some M &Ms. He took some M& Ms and walked out the door. The cashier stopped him and I gave them back. He got angry and pushed the main door so hard, it fell off the hinges.




I had a major panic attack on the last day of the cruise. I packed up all the non-essentials and set it outside the room. I packed the kids bags with their diapers, wipes, and extra clothes; cleaned out my purse for extra room, if I needed it; and re-organized the bag of chargers. I had 5 bags: my purse, Kalen bag, Brad bag, the laptop, and bag of chargers for the devices.

Simple enough. I carry three bags. Brad carries his bag and Kalen carries his bag. EXCEPT Kalen did not want to walk and moved extra slow. I had to carry his bag so he would move faster and he did not.

We walked one way to head to the Sapphire Lounge for Faster to the Fun people, but it was blocked off. Walked another way and the police was having a situation with a woman. I couldn’t move anymore. My cycle on. I got 4 bags in one arm. I am sweating, hurting, and struggling with Kalen. I sat there until the police moved.

Finally got to Sapphire, sat down, and it was time to move again. Can’t find my phone. Went back in. Kids acting up again. I broke down crying. Couldn’t take it anymore.

Asked for help multiple times since I have SPED kids. Finally someone told me I can get a wheelchair and I could carry Kalen in my lap. I was eventually wheeled down to customs, while Brad walked and someone held Kalen’s hand. I just wanted off the boat and in my bed at home. I wanted to be left alone. Of course that was not the case..

To be continued..............

(Working on Karaoke video; Life on the ship video; and boat trip video)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie