Saturday, September 13, 2014

Presence Learning Navigating Emotions Review (Tomoson)



I read Navigating Emotions in exchange for honest review from Tomoson. I wanted to review the book because I have two children and I do not always understand their emotions. Kalen for example, has no pain sensor. He can bump his head, not cry, get up, and go do something else. The kids also do not have empathy for others emotions. I could be on the verge of a breakdown and they just stare.

I wanted to know how to navigate the emotions that they have, no matter which ones and if they don't display some of them.

I definitely feel irritated at times, especially on how the boys respond to each other.

The book discusses how to navigate your emotions when parenting gets too intense. Screaming and fussing at my kids do not work. Brad will fuss and scream back. Kalen will scream too and want to be held.

Walking away does not help because my kids will follow you. Hiding in the bathroom does not help either because my kids will knock on the door.

And I definitely have to be careful around Kalen since he has the breath holding spells. If he continues to have them, He will first get another 24 hour Holter Monitor, and then surgery to install a temporary heart monitor for 3 years.

The book is 30 pages long and provides tips on how parents can manage their emotions. The first thing, the book discusses is SAFE


  1. Stop and Notice What is going on with your mind and body
  2. Accept and acknowledge how you feel
  3. Feel fully without acting verbally or physically on your emotions
  4. Exit if necessary to be safe with your feeling and emotions. 
Other tips include just sitting down, even in the middle of a chaos, to try to gain control. I have done this. Sometimes it works. 

The author also recommends having a good shout to voice what you are feeling. Another idea is to be silent and let your mind rest. Or you can call a friend to vent and voice concerns. 

I loved reading the book. The book was a quick read the first time, but I can pull up these techniques as needed when my kids overwhelm me, which is daily.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie