I read Hacking Kickstarter, in exchange for review from Tomoson. The book was written by Patrice Williams Marks. The book discusses how to properly use and raise money for Crowdfunding websites, such as Indiegogo, Kickstarter, and Gofundme.
Crowdfunding allows people to post their projects, which need additional funding online. People donate money to the project until the goal is reached. The investors may also receive perks based on money given. Some crowdfunding projects may include investing money to produce a demo tape, fund a trip to Timbuktu, or help publish a book.
The project creator has to be willing to invest the time and patience into a crowdfunding project to ensure success.
Now, on to the book:
First, Marks discussed some things a successful project should incorporate:
- A video. Talk about the project. Discuss how the money will be used. and don't forget to thank the investors/funders.
- A website. Post regular updates about the project. Buy a domain or do a free domain. Incorporate videos and pictures.
- Perks and rewards. Offer something good.
- Contact Information. Name, email, phone numbers. Bio, picture of you.
- Testimonials. Get quotes from supporters. Use their full name.
- Consider costs and timeline of the project.
- Research similar projects to find acceptable goals.
- Don't start the project until everything is in place.
One negative was the font was a little hard to read. I increased the font size on Adobe, but the text remained the same. I definitely could have used a larger font.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.