About the book:
First, the book is Christian-based. One of the sentences, which grabbed me, from the back of the book was Where is God when you are doing everything right, but because of someone else, everything is wrong. But through it all, God is always there, no matter what you are going through.
The book talked about choices. Your life is not only affected by your choices, it is also affected by other people's choices. What if your kids, left your grandkids on the doorstep to start a new relationship? What if you are being stalked? or what if the person, you think you are in love with, lies about being single or having kids? (that happened to me before). or your child or husband, has an addiction, which affects finances and stability.
The first story focused on Don and Lila, who was raising their grandkids because their daughter had an addiction. Their plans for a quiet life was quickly halted. Their finances shaken, but they agreed to give their grandkids love and stability, instead of regret and hatred. At the each of the chapter, there is discussion questions, which would be perfect for personal or small group bible study. One of the questions is what sacrifices are you making for someone, you love, but sensing the taint of victimization? Followed by applicable bible verse. Each story is short: like maybe 5 to 6 pages. Each story is a quick read.
Other stories, I liked included:
- Danielle's husband left her for another woman, leaving her raising 4 kids alone. She did not let her ex-husband bring her additional sadness and distress. She called on God during her time of need.
- Olivia was dealing with a death of a child (suicide). Her child committed suicide during a family dinner.
- Charla was a teenage mom, but was forced to give up her baby. The father was married. She got married and had kids later, but had a fear someone would take her kids. I cried reading this story
- Deana dealt with trust issues.
- Marisa dealt with postpartum depression (I been there before).
- Tasha's husband gave her the gift of HIV.
Cynthia Ruchti is celebrating the release of Ragged Hope: Surviving the Fallout of Other People’s Choices (Abingdon Press) with a $200 Visa Cash Card "Hope" Giveaway and Facebook Party!
One winner will receive:
- A $200 Visa Cash Card
- Ragged Hope by Cynthia Ruchti