About Writers of the Future:
Writers of the Future Volume XXIX (I think that is 29) is a collection of prose from candidates from the Writers of the future contest, held quarterly. The contest was founded by L.Ron Hubbard to recognized new and upcoming authors. There is no entry fee to enter the contest. The series of books focuses on science and fantasy. Winners get their manuscript published, in addition to a cash prize. The foundation also sponsors an Illustrators of the Future contest. You can find out about both the Writers and the Illustrators Here:
About L. Ron Hubbard
- Writing career lasted half a century
- Hubbard also had experienced as an explorer, ethnologist, mariner, pilot, film maker, photographer, educator, composer, and musician
- He wrote articles, stories, and plays for George Washington University in Washington, DC's
- He was an national correspondent and photographer for the Sportsman Pilot magazine
- He also served with distinction as a U.S. naval officer during the Second World War.
- Hubbard wrote action, adventure, western, mystery and suspense, using his experiences to help shape his writing.
- Hubbard worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood.
- Hubbard wrote Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth. Battlefield Earth has been translated into 26 languages, in addition to winning numerous awards. Mission Earth also has won numerous awards. The 10 volume-series all became New York Times Best Sellers.
- Hubbard died in 1986
The book provides 13 stories from the Writer's of the Future International Writers' Program, in addition to three essays on writing and illustration. Before each story, there is a bio of both the author and illustrator. The first story was War Hero by Brian Trent and illustrated by Jon Eno. Wow, the story was amazing. It was a science-fiction story about a man, who has to kill a leader over again. Both men have been given new bodies. The War Hero has been given the body of the leader's son. The story is taking place on Mars. The story was a little confusing at first, but after reading further, I was hooked. This is one of the best science-fiction books I have read in a long time. I have not read any L.Ron Hubbard books yet, but I plan to. The books provide a great collection of upcoming authors.
At the end of the book, you have information about Writers of the Future and Illustrators of the Future and how to enter each contest.
Barnes and Noble